Mumbai: As Spotify planning for Wrapped, its annual end-of-year campaign, they had to approach this campaign differently. So, this year, globally, Wrapped is all about telling a story of gratitude and resilience. The intent is to recognise so many of the people — artists, podcast creators, passionate listeners, and everyday playlist creators who kept people entertained, grounded, and informed through it all.
Back home in India, these stories are being told in a way that would most resonate with the local consumers. Based on the millions of conversations on social media around ‘appreciation’ and ‘compassion’, the campaign here will highlight how India ended 2020, on a good note. Through 3 digital films (the first of which is live here), Spotify shows fans showing gratitude for, and thanking their favourite artists of the year for the music that helped them navigate 2020. Furthermore, the campaign, in classic Wrapped fashion, also features OOH creatives across Mumbai and Delhi that leverage data-backed insights and trends to highlight India’s quirky audio streaming habits this year. Finally, ‘#2020Wrapped, on a good note’ also comprises digital creatives that tap into India’s unique moods and moments of the year. After all India, it’s time to wrap up 2020 on a good note.
And for those wondering what artists and podcasters defined this unforgettable year, read on to find Spotify’s full 2020 Wrapped results for India.
- Continuing their reign from last year as India’s most-streamed artists on Spotify, Arijit Singh, Tanishk Bagchi, and Neha Kakkar are the top 3 most-streamed artists this year. They are followed by K-pop boy band BTS, and then, Pritam, both who have gone up the list from last year
- BTS is the only international act to feature in the top 5 artists on Spotify in India in 2020, which clearly indicates the increasing popularity of K-pop in the country
- India’s top 5 most-streamed female artists are all local, and include Neha Kakkar, Shreya Ghoshal, Asees Kaur, Tulsi Kumar, and Dhvani Bhanushali
- When it comes to the most-streamed songs, the top 5 comprise “Shayad” by Arijit Singh, Pritam and Irshad Kamil; international track “Falling” by Trevor Daniel; “Ghungroo (From “War”)” by Arijit Singh, Shilpa Rao, Kumaar, and Vishal-Shekhar; “Tujhe Kitna Chahne Lage (From “Kabir Singh”)” by Arijit Singh and Mithoon; and finally, “Makhna” by Asees Kaur, Tanishk Bagchi, Yasser Desai, and Ozil Dalal
- Next up, India’s most-streamed albums on Spotify this year are Kabir Singh, followed by Pritam’s Love Aaj Kal and BTS’ MAP OF THE SOUL: 7. Also among the top are Arijit Singh’s Arijit Singh Broken Strings and Justin Bieber’s Changes. 60% of the top 10 albums of 2020 on Spotify are by international artists, indicating the strong love for international music in the country
- Finally, this year’s most popular editorial playlist in India is Top Hits Hindi that kept India grooving to the latest local chartbusters with 341K followers
- 2020 was podcasts’ year to shine. And the most-streamed podcasts on Spotify in India this year are TED Talks Daily, The Ranveer Show, and On Purpose with Jay Shetty. Spotify India Original Maha Bharat with Dhruv Rathee also made it to the top, along with 7 Good Minutes Daily Self-Improvement Podcast with Clyde Lee Dennis
- Anchor-powered Telugu podcast PURIJAGANNADH also featured among the Top 10 most-streamed podcasts in India on Spotify in 2020
- Additionally, six Spotify Originals – Maha Bharat with Dhruv Rathee, Bhaskar Bose, Gita for the Young and Restless, The Michelle Obama Podcast, The Big Fat Indian Ghotala and 22 Yarns with Gaurav Kapur – featured among the top 20 podcasts streamed on Spotify in India this year
- Lastly, the podcast genres that Indians were most drawn to on Spotify in India were ‘Education’, followed by ‘Lifestyle & Health’, ‘Society & Culture’, ‘Arts & Entertainment’, and ‘Business & Technology’, which goes to show the country’s listeners spent 2020 upskilling and focusing on their well-being
Finally, users can now head to http://www.spotify.com/wrapped to access their personalized Wrapped experience that gives them a detailed deep dive into the music and podcasts they discovered, loved, and soundtracked their year with.