New Delhi: The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has issued Direction to DTH operator Independent TV Ltd to provide details related to pending refund and unwarranted dropping of channels provided to subscribers.
The direction was issued after numerous consumer complaints received by TRAI, wherein the subscribers have complained that Independent TV Ltd has discontinued channels opted for by the subscribers and that the operator is neither providing services to the consumers despite collecting the money in advance nor any refund has been made to the consumers.
Between February to April 2019, Authority has exchanged multiple letters with Independent TV,based on the complaints from unhappy customers. TRAI in its letter dated 26th March 2019 directed the DTH operator to ensure that the new regulations are followed in letter and spirit with no violation and that all the new connections booked are provided in time-bound manner.However, it seems still the complaints are pouring in from the aggrieved customers.
Subsequently, TRAI has directed Independent TV Ltd to provide the information on the following issues for the last six months ending on 30th June 2019:
- How many connection requests are pending beyond 7 days after receipt of payments/subscription from the consumers.
- How many complaints are still pending regarding refund not provided.
- In how many cases the refund has been provided to the consumer due to non-provision of services despite collecting the money in advance.
- Give the number of cases along with the amount refunded;
- Whether any channel has been removed from your platform without giving prior intimation to the consumer. Give details, if any.
- Whether the services have been resumed after the blackout issue
- Whether any rebate has been provided to the affected subscribers during the blackout period. If yes, how much rebate has been provided