Bangalore: News 18 Kannada, one of India’s largest news network, presented its annual signature Varshada Kannadiga awards on February 22 to eight extraordinary achievers. The star-studded, august gathering on Saturday evening saw some of the finest feats among the glitterati.
As a precursor, a jury meeting was held on February 7 to filter the shortlisted contenders. Chaired by the esteemed former Lokayukta Justice N Santosh Hegde, the jury finalized the list of eight people from various sectors for the awards.
Saturday evening saw over 300 guests witnessing the gala award ceremony. The who’s who included celebrities from Sandalwood, bureaucracy, politicians and friends of News 18 – DCM Dr C N Ashwath Narayan, BJP MPs Tejasvi Surya and D V Sadananda Gowda, MLAs K Gopalaiah, S T Somashekar, BJP Spokesperson – Malavika Avinash; actors Puneet Rajkumar, Ganesh, Ninasam Sathish, Dali Dhananjay, Haripriya, Aditi Prabhudeva, Shree Leela and Sanah Thimmayya. Former DG and IGP T Srikumar, retired IAS officer T Thimme Gowda, DPAR secretary Munish Moudgil and traffic commissioner Ravikanthe Gowda.
Throwing the floor open for the evening and welcoming the guests, News18 Kannada editor Siddappa Kaloji said: “It is a matter of pride to honor the internationally renowned achievers of Karnataka. These achievers are truly an inspiration.’’
The eight awardees were:
- Niranjan Mukundan, in the Sports category for having won prestigious international medals as a para-swimmer for 17 times.
- Anuradha TK, the project director of ISRO, who was instrumental in the launch of the G-SAT satellite, was finalized in the Science and Technology category.
- Niranjan Nempe, the inventor of arecanut tea. He was chosen in the Business category.
- Prof. G.S. Jayadeva was honored in the Social Service category.
- Actor and director, Rishab Shetty bagged the Arts and Entertainment award.
- Nemichandra lifted the Literature trophy.
- Dr.H.S Venkatesh Murthy, also known as the Ruby (Manikya) of the Kannada literary world, was the Varshada Kannadiga 2020.
- Lifetime Achievement Award, the most coveted honour was bestowed upon Chennaveera Kanavi.
Addressing the gathering, MP Tejasvi Surya, cine actor Puneeth lauded the channels and selection committee’s efforts in identifying people who have been extra-ordinary performers, from across different sectors.
Kudalasangama Basavajaya Mrutyunjaya seer who spoke briefly Swamiji said most of these achievers were Kannadigas and that people born and brought up in this state have the caliber to excel on the global arena.
News18 Kannada Varshada Kannadiga 2020 will be telecasted on 29th Feb 2020 Saturday at 5:30pm and repeat on 1st March 2020 Sunday at 10 am