NEw Delhi: Brightcove Inc. (NASDAQ: BCOV), the leading provider of cloud services for video, published the Future of OTT report highlighting the current and future OTT Landscape in Asia. The Future of OTT in South Asia is the first study of its kind in the market that investigates the streaming habits and preferences of consumers in the country. This 2020 report seeks to dive into consumer preferences towards OTT services. From subscriptions to payments to OTT advertising to user experiences, this report uncovers insights that will aid media companies, broadcasters, OTT streaming services, and content owners in charting their future in OTT.
The study surveyed over 3,000 people ages 16+, in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan to gain insights into consumer behaviour to understand viewers’ preferences, likes, and needs to deliver the services and content consumers want, where they want. The research is commissioned in partnership with research partner, Milieu, a consumer research and data analytics firm. Fieldwork was conducted throughout July 2020.
Key Insights from South Asia include:
- Social media is paramount
- 60% of respondents use social media to discover new content and platforms.
2. Ads are acceptable but for a lower fee
- 33% are willing to pay lower or no fee in return for watching ads, only 24% are willing to pay a higher fee for no ads.
3. Mobile viewing is a must have
- 70% of viewers prefer to consume content on their mobile phones, followed by TVs (55%) and personal computers (53%).
4. Content is the king
- 48% of the viewers want more content options, 35% want access to all local content
5. People want subscription choices
- 64% of viewers want a monthly subscription, whether it’s SVOD, AVOD, or a hybrid of both
6. Viewers embrace free content
- 55% of viewers have one or more free online video sharing services as their go-to TV viewing platforms.