Chrome Data Analytics & Media conducts an in-depth analyses of digital & DTH connections. The study which seeks to measure the satisfaction level of digital & DTH connections consumers, is conducted in all India with a sample size of 1071. The demographic profile consist of working professionals, students, self employed and a small portion of unemployed individuals.
Till sometime back it has been a no-brainer what one needs to have for home entertainment. On the one hand, there is the Direct-to-home (DTH) service ensuring sharp picture and quality, giving consumers the power to choose the channels they want and even offering interactive elements such as video-on-demand and gaming. On the other hand, one has the analogue cable television with poor reception and a whole bundle of channels one never wants but have to pay for.
However the process of digitalisation made the cable operators toe the line instead of losing on the number of subscribers. The development not only provided another choice for Indian consumers, but also leads to the cable operators becoming more of an organised business.
DTH and Digital have been locking horns over capturing the subscriber’s share. While DTH service ensures superior picture quality, local cable operator can provide both (digital cable TV and Internet services), that ensures good quality and saves consumers the trouble of getting a separate Internet connection.
Given below are the key finding of the survey for your reference, shall be great if you would like to explore a feature utilising the findings of the survey. Please do write back in case you require further explanations on the same.
- A large number of respondents that is 53% have digital connections comparatively to DTH, that is lagging behind with 47%
- The survey notices a larger base of analogs (wired cable) subscribers shifting to digital set top box (65%) than to DTH (32%)
- Analysing the reasons for the shift, it is confirmed that analogs subscribers shifted to digital cable due to change in govt. mandate which made it necessary to have digital connections
- However, the reason to shift to DTH From analog was disturbance in anaog signals and data circuits
- Lesser number of channels provided by cable operators tops the reason for digital subscribers to shift to DTH followed by issues in audio video quality, unable to subscribe to channels based on consumer selection etc.
- 42% chose the Value Added Services as the most significant reason for subscriber shift From DTH to other DTH operators
- More DTH subscribers (96%) are satisfied with the services comparatively to Digital cable (83%)