With big movie releases postponed, film, TV and web series shootings stopped, theatres unable to screen movies, daily wage employees struggling for their survival as the Indian film industry is going through its worst phase because of the lockdown that has been implemented due to the widespread of coronavirus.
Bollywood’s much awaited film “Sooryavanshi, which stars Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif which was scheduled to release on March 24 was postponed, followed by other movies like Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar, Haathi Mere Sathi and 83 facing the same situation too. Similarly a lot of big ticket releases in regional languages have also been delayed.
Government of Gujarat has given the permission to commence shooting of films, television serials, web series etc as per guidelines of Home Ministry, Government Of India, number 40-3/2020/DM-1(A) dated 30/5/2020 and guidelines for phased reopening Unlock -1, permission has been given for all activities in non-containment zones (except the activities shown in phase 1, phase 2 and phase 3).
- One must obey the guidelines issued by Home Ministry, Government Of India, number: 40-3/2020/DM-1(A) dated 30/5/2020. They must be followed in future also, as and when issued.
- District collector and Magistrate permission must be taken for shooting purposes.
- Usual guidelines must be followed for shooting that is permission from Corporation, City police, Traffic police, Tourism, Archaeology department, etc must be taken.
- No one from Containment zone will be allowed for shooting activities.
- Social distancing and other guidelines and SOP of Covid 19 must be followed given by Government of India.
- The rules must be followed given by Local officials at the time of shooting.
- Mask, gloves, sensitization, social distancing etc must be taken care of.
- The producer must have all the information about nearest health center, hospital, doctor, ambulance etc.
- Every crew member must have downloaded Aarogya Setu app in his mobile. Also the blue tooth must be on all the time.
- PPE kit must be worn by makeup artist, while doing makeup no one should be near by the artist and makeup artist.
- Non-flammable sanitizer must be used on sets.
- The scenes where so many people are involved say dance, fight, party, function etc cannot be shot.
- The artist can remove mask only and only when they are giving takes and are in front of the camera, while all the crew members and artists must wear their masks throughout.
Indian Motion Picture Producers’ Association’s President T.P. Aggarwal wrote to Shri Vijay Rupani Chief Minister Government of Gujarat, it read “We are extremely grateful to your kind self for kindly issuing necessary order for restarting of shooting in Gujarat issued by Ministry of Information and Broadcasting,Gujarat Government on 4-6-20 which is something very helpful for all the film and entertainment content producers whose work has been totally held up after imposition of the lockdown and who are facing heavy economic crisis on account of stoppage of all activities.”
Aggarwal requested in the letter that certain rules laid out by the government are needed to be changed for the betterment of the film industry, the letter said
Though we are very happy and satisfied with most of the conditions, we would request you to kindly make slight modifications in the following conditions which will go a long way to help the producer and create a more conducive atmosphere for starting of shooting:
While in clause 2, it is provided that “District collector and Magistrate permission must be taken for Shooting purposes.” which is the only permission mentioned in the SOPs for starting shooting in Maharashtra and Karnataka, it is mentioned in clause 3 that “Usual guidelines must be followed for shooting, ie permission from Corporation, City police, Traffic police, Tourism, Archaeology dept, etc. must be taken.” which only means additional work and harassment for the producer as well as the concerned officials who are already over busy with the Covid 19 work and therefore should be done away with for the time being.
Clause 6 provides that “The rules must be followed given by Local officials at the time of shooting.” which also can lead to much confusion as well as become a problem due to the all – encompassing authority given to the local authorities to form rules which clause is totally vague and unclear.
Clause 10 provides that “PPE kit must be worn by makeup artist.” Please note PPE kit is not required and is not mentioned in any state’s SOP because gloves, mask and face shield are more than enough to take care of the safety requirement.
Clause 12 provides that “The scenes where so many people are involved say dance, fight, party, function etc cannot be shot.” Please note that no film or entertainment content of any kind can be completed without fight, party or function scene and hence instead of declaring that no such scene should be shot, the order should be modified to say that such scenes should be shot with minimum crowd while compulsorily maintaining social distancing and taking all precautions.
“We trust your kind self will agree that we are demanding very minor changes in the directions issued by your kind government only for the improvement and betterment of the work and you will kindly do the needful and oblige” the letter concluded.