Flair for writing, indomitable spirit of reading, keen on engaging in creative debates and discussions- if all these skill sets define you then prepare yourself to join the most exciting and prominent industry in recent times- Public Relations. Not only PR is welcoming but it is diverse and offers myriad opportunities of growth and learning to every young professional who enters the ecosystem.The industry has established itself as a necessity for every small and big business planning to expand and position itself positively in its customer’s mind. So, the demand for this profession can never cease to exist.
Get ready to redefine your writing skills
Today we all are constituents of a digital world, there is no point where we can imagine ourselves without being digitally connected. This has created a large cloud of space, which needs well-written content in form of article, blogs, stories, opinionated pieces, insights and several other forms of promotional and non-promotional written materials. Now we will get to the part wherein you understand the how exactly your writing skills will get redefined-
- Brands are seeking support from social media platforms to maintain positive positioning in the customer’s mind.
- Two very important elements of this process are words and pictures. Value of appropriately written words becomes incalculable, if your written piece is able to deliver a profound impact on the reader’s minds.
- It is often said that to write well, one must read well. Being a PR professional, you are bestowed with the responsibility of handling and writing for clients from varied sectors.
- Your horizon of knowledge expands, as you tend to read more about different industries for positioning your client appropriately amongst the variety of target groups.
- The written tasks can come in the form of authored articles, industry quotes, Op-ed, speeches etc. This helps you experiment with your writing skills, as every client has a different outlook and market positioning; and your job is to develop content accordingly.
Let loose the great orator in you!
Proud of your networking and speaking skills, PR provides just the right environment to experiment with this skill set of yours. Let’s look at how your great communication skills will be put in use, as you take up the role of a PR professional-
- Your JD requires you to be a smart conveyor of information, as a lot depends on how you manage to convince publications and journalists for featuring your client and their products/services.
- Attending events, conferences and seminars are frequent occurrences in a PR professional’s life. These places offer abundant opportunities to interact with people from all hierarchies of media outlets, and other industries as well.
- Your speaking skills get refined and polished, offering you new spheres on which interactions can take place.
PR- Growth never stops!
Public Relations offer you an incessant growth if you are willing to put your best foot forward. With each new client, you get fresh perspective about the businesses developing and expanding around you. The profession demands you to be updated with the recent worldly happenings; resultantly you are never reading or writing the same thing on regular basis. Each day is a new endeavor towards growth in skill set and knowledge respectively.
Article by Dushyant Sinha, Founder Director, ICCPL Group