Starcom and Publicis Media’s Scorecard with Targeted PMPs during the World Cup
Starcom, powered by Publicis Media Asia Pacific, partnered with PubMatic on the exclusive launch of a Targeted Private Market Place (PMP) which significantly improved campaign performance and workflow efficiencies during the World Cup for SEA advertisers.Client Challenge:
Publicis Media Asia Pacific faced three key challenges when planning and buying programmatic advertising campaigns during the World Cup:
- Increased demand for sports inventory resulted in inflated CPMs
- Limited scale with site specific PMPs
- High data cost for generic audience segments
Publicis Media Asia Pacific chose PubMatic’s Targeted PMP solution to deliver cost efficient audience targeting, reduced operational inefficiency and improved campaign performance.
Targeted PMPs Allowed:
- Buying teams to implement an audience-led strategy to avoid paying inflated CPMs for contextual targeting during the World Cup
- Easy planning and buying of predefined football-related audience segments built using unique data with matched volumes across PubMatic’s premium publishers
- PubMatic to manage the audience targeting, reducing the operational work load for the buying teams
- Publicis Media clients to achieve higher CTRs versus other targeting strategies
Success By The Numbers:
Publicis Media Asia Pacific partnered with PubMatic to use Targeted PMPs for two global beer brand campaigns during the World Cup:
- Targeted PMPs delivered 200 percent higher average CTR versus contextual inventory targeting strategy*
- Cost-Per-Click (CPC) is traditionally high for audience targeting as data increases media costs. However, with optimisation Targeted PMP achieved a CPC comparable to an open exchange strategy.
- Targeted PMPs delivered 125 percent higher average CTR versus a contextual targeting strategy*
- CPC concerns were similar for the second beer brand. However, with optimisation Targeted PMP resulted in a lower CPC (approximately 20% lower) than an open exchange strategy.
Jonathan Mackenzie, Managing Director, Publicis Media Asia Pacific,“At Precision [a Publicis Media company], we focus on producing solutions that tap into the potential of the entire programmatic ecosystem rather than just reselling ad tech and the partnership with Pubmatic is a great example. These results are really compelling and demonstrate how customized solutions can drive real results for our clients. The combination of supply curated around a key global event combined with unique data created real impact and drove great results.”
Key Client Learnings:
- An audience-led strategy provided more insights, greater optimisation flexibility and increased campaign planning capabilities for buying teams versus a traditional whitelist strategy.
- Targeted PMPs provided cost-efficient access to PubMatic’s unique data, delivering performance efficiencies that are hard to achieve when buying third-party data.
- Using prebuilt audience segments with volumes matched across publishers, Targeted PMPs reduced wastage and increased operational efficiency vs site-specific PMPs.