The study conducted by Chrome Data Anaytics & Media on the consumption behaviour of Male TV Audience in Metros and Non Metros.
Despite digital media’s gradually growing influence, Television in India still is one of India’s favorite mediums of entertainment. It is a medium that has a massive reach in the country and has something to offer to everyone, regardless of age, sex or educational background. Owing to its reach and ability to offer a variety of entertainment programs, even today television holds considerable value for advertisers and broadcasters.
Chrome’s latest study seeks to analyse the TV viewing behavior of Indian males, aged 22 years and more in India. The study took in account a sample of 1,322 respondents across India. The research weighs responses of males in metro cities against responses of their counterparts in non-metro settings. The research methodology involved interviews as well as structured survey in real time.
Some important highlights of research study are:
- The percentage of males watching television remained highest in the age group of 31-40, with 31% of males in metro cities and 33% of males in non-metro cities.
- Colors and Star Plus were the most preferred channels for the Metro Males for watching along with their family members, Non Metro males opted for Colors and Sony TV as their preferred choice of channels.
- Males in non- metro cities tend to spend more time before their television sets when compared to their counterpart in metro cities. The study shows that 31% of Males in Non-metros spend 1 hour to 2 hour before their TV, while 24% of them spend 2 to hours everyday. Their counterpart in metro cities tends to spend 30-60 minutes a day watching TV.
- While males in metro cities prefer watching news and Music related programs, males in non-metro cities prefer watching Movies and Sports.
- 60% of males in metro cities prefer to watch television alone as compared to 52% of males in non-metro cities.
- In terms of content, both males in metro cities as well as non-metro cities prefer watching comedy and reality shows the most. However, males in non- metro settings prefer to watch comedy shows as compared to reality shows.
- 35% males in non- metro settings prefer to watch youth oriented programs as compared to 26% in metro cities.
- While responding to a query on time-spend watching Online Videos, Minority of the Non-metro Males revealed that they spend around 60 minutes every day. On the other hand Metro males were spending 2 to 3 hours per day watching Online Videos with 8% of them watching 3 to 4 hours of online content everyday.