Mumbai: Former BARC CEO Partho Dasgupta was admitted to JJ Hospital last night after his blood pressure and sugar levels fell while in judicial custody. Taloja jail authorities shifted Dasgupta to the hospital around 1 pm in the afternoon.
According to his wife Samrajni Dasgupta, he has been shifted to the intensive care unit at the hospital early in the morning today.
“Partho has not been responding to voice command and his speech has become incoherent. He is a blood sugar patient and has fluctuating blood pressure. We were informed just this morning about his health situation. He is critical,” she said.
Mr. Dasgupta is a General Management professional who have a leadership experience, his larger career has been in Media and consumer industries where he did large and small start-up media projects. Partho has earlier led start-up teams and management teams of Times Now, Future Media, The Economic Times and Times Multimedia.
Dasgupta was arrested by the Mumbai Police in the last week of December on charges of alleged involvement in the TRP scam case. He was in police custody till December 31, after which he was remanded to judicial custody.
It may be noted that the 500-page WhatsApp chats extracted from Mr ParthoDas Gupta’s mobile phone was released by Mumbai Police yesterday and it is doing rounds across the media world.
Meanwhile, Partho Das Gupta’s daughter Pratyusha Dasgupta made a distress appeal to PM seeking his intervention and requesting him to take necessary steps to follow the due process of law while investigating his father in the ongoing TRP Scam case. The full text of the letter is as following:
A DISTRESSED APPEAL FROM A VULNERABLE DAUGHTER TO SAVE HER FATHER’S LIFE
l, Pratyusha Dasgupta, am the daughter of Partho Dasgupta, the ex CEO of BARC who has been in police and then judicial custody since 24th December 2020.
Today at 3:00 AM my mother received a phone call asking her to reach JJ Hospital immediately since my father was brought in there. On reaching there the doctors asked us why no one from his family had come to the hospital for the last 12- hours since my father was brought to the hospital in an unconscious state at around 1:00 PM on 15th January, 2021. The sequence of events as we have been able to piece together is as follows:
- My father was brought to the hospital from Taloia Jail in an unconscious state.
- Till about 3:00 AM the next day — 14 hours since he was brought to the hospital – no one from the family was informed. The reason provided was that they did not have our phone numbers to contact us and hence waited till my father was conscious enough to give them my mother’s phone number. This is inspite of the several mails we have sent to the Jail Authorities requesting permission to reach my father with my phone number mentioned at the end of the text.
- When we reached the hospital, he was lying in the emergency room with not even a bed sheet to cover him. He was moved to the ICU at about 5:00 AM — 16-hours after bringing him to the hospital – and we have no access to him.
- At the emergency room, he was incoherent, unable to speak or express himself properly when he desperately tried to talk to us and his sugar levels had shot up to alarmingly high levels (516).
- He has been suffering from a number of serious ailments for many years, including diabetes, hypertension, and ankylosing spondylitis, an auto immune disorder. We had constantly been trying to contact the Jail Authorities regarding his health over the past two weeks over email since we knew of his medical conditions and the repercussions it may have.
- The state that he was in clearly indicates that he was being severely ill treated. He was in a completely traumatised state and it was apparent that that he had been physically and mentally tortured. His deplorable conditions were a result of severe and continuous torment inside the jail.
- Given the state that he is in, I am deeply concerned about his life. My father was in judicial custody in connection to the alleged TRP scam which has been taking its rounds in the media over the past few months. We are law abiding citizens and want that the case should follow the natural course through the courts of law. However, what we have been made to go through is a matter of utmost concern and something I would not wish on my worst enemies. My plea to you, sir, is to please save my father’s life by allowing proper medical treatment in a reputed hospital at our expense. Without intervention at the highest levels, I am now fearful for his life.
Pratyusha Dasgupta (A daughter of India).