Mumbai: As 2018 comes to a close, BookMyShow looks back and reveals how India consumed out-of-home entertainment in the year gone by. This year, millions of users reached out to BookMyShow to satiate their entertainment appetite.
The data reveals how India consumed entertainment through this year (2018) ranging from movies, music to live entertainment – plays, events, and sports. It also includes data on the ground breaking events this year, top concerts and gigs, and top movies of the year. BookMyShow #BestOf2018 has the Date range from Dec 1, 2017 to Dec 18, 2018.
Ashish Hemrajani, CEO and Founder, BookMyShow said,“As the year comes to a close, thank you to all our users for choosing BookMyShow. #BestOf2018 is a true reflection of the amazing year that 2018 has been! India’s entertainment landscape is going through a radical change and BookMyShow is playing its part in this transformation, by providing an unparalleled experience. 2018 has witnessed great demand for both movies and liveevents. On one hand mega blockbusters like 2.0, Padmaavat and Sanju entertained audiencesat the box office while on the other, international experiences like Disney’s Aladdin and Cirque du Soleil BAZZAR left audiences spellbound when it came to live events, showcasing 2018 as truly a year of all things entertainment –be it movies, plays, sports or concerts! We are now all set to welcome 2019 and super excited to bringamazing out-of-home entertainment for millions of entertainment lovers in India.”
In 2018, BookMyShow was home to over 1780 films across languages. This year, Superstar Rajinikanth and Akshay Kumar starrer 2.0 electrified on BookMyShowselling 16 tickets per second. Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s magnum opus Padmaavat was the highest grossing film in Hindi and the second highest grossing film overall.
The following trends encapsulate how movie-goers reacted to cinemas released week on week this year:
- Sunday afternoon was the most preferred show time for movie-lovers
- India’s love for Drama won yet again as it was the most popular film genre followed by Action, Thriller and Romantic Comedy
- Hindi cinema ruled the roost, followed by Telugu and English
- Bengaluru cinebuffs showcased their love for films and how! Fans in this city ousted movie goers from other cities like Mumbai, Pune, Hyderabad and NCR watching the most number films this year (in terms of total number of movie ticketsbought)
- In 2018, regional cinema saw a remarkable increase,contributing 45% to the total number of tickets sold on BookMyShow. Tamil and Telugu films together formed 73% of the total number of tickets sold for regional films fuelled by the release of movies like 2.0, Sarkar and Geetha Govindam and Rangasthalam, amongst others
- Tickets sales in other Indian regional languages like Malayalam and Kannada also experienced growth
Live Entertainment (Including plays, events, and sports)
In 2018, India’s love for live entertainmentexperienced animpressive growth asusers reached out to BookMyShow to enjoy more than 12,000 out-of-home events listed pan-India. The live-entertainment listings registered a growth of about 20% this year as compared to 2017, echoing the swelling demand for these events. This year, the India debut of Disney’s Aladdin and Cirque du Soleil’s latest spectacle BAZZARmarked a new high in the entertainment experience of BookMyShow’s users.
While the demand for events and activities was high across the country, each city had its preferences:
- Mumbai was big on plays whereas Delhi expressed its well-known fondness for Food and Historical Monuments
- This year, Bangalore and Hyderabad laughed their hearts out witha high uptake of stand-up gigs
- In 2018, users preferred BookMyShow to book their spots at the Indian Premiere League leading to packed stadiums along with Pro Kabbadi League that experienced high demand in cities like Pune, Patna & Ahmedabad .