Mumbai: With the world changing at a rapid pace, it has become important to learn and relearn skills that will equip us to be future-ready. Over the years, Netflix has rolled out several training programs and workshops in India aimed at improving skills and creating more job opportunities. The most recent one has been a virtual training pilot for Assistant Editors in India in partnership with the prestigious New York Film Academy (NYFA) from April 24 to May 30, 2021.
The course was designed and curated to improve the skills and knowledge of Assistant Editors, Editors, and Post Supervisors from across the country. The course provided Assistant Editors with a comprehensive module to improve their skills and enhance their knowledge. The course was taught using a variety of instructional methods, including lectures, class discussions, guided application, in-class activities, and independent projects.
The course gave the participants a well-rounded understanding of the editing process, the structure, and the presentation of editing. Three film schools from India participated in the course: Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Whistling Woods International, Satyajit Ray Film & Television Institute of India as observers.
Amitabh Shukla, Manager, Post-production, Netflix India, said, “The Assistant Editor Professional Development Course provided an immersive experience, global best practices, and world-class faculty from the New York Film Academy for the next generation of Indian storytellers. We want to continue to invest in the Indian creative ecosystem by offering the right tools, resources, and knowledge so the creators can do the best work of their lives with Netflix.”
“New York Film Academy was thrilled to work with Netflix to provide this specialized Assistant Editor training”, said Dan Mackler, NYFA SVP and Dean of the Los Angeles Campus. “Our editing instructors were impressed by the dedication and enthusiasm of these working professionals in India and look forward to seeing the amazing projects they are working on”.
About Netflix’s other skill development initiatives:
- Partnership with BAFTA for new talent: Netflix is the main supporting partner for BAFTA’s flagship new talent scheme: BAFTA Breakthrough, which showcases and supports the next generation of creative talent across Film, Games, and Television.
- Post-production workshops and Q&A sessions such as with Emmy award-winning editor Stuart Bass: Netflix held a virtual Q&A session for the editing community in India with Emmy Award-winning editor Stuart Bass. They also hosted a first-of-a-kind workshop on post-production in Mumbai.
- Script Writing Workshop in partnership with NFDC: Netflix has tied up with the National Film Development Corporation of India (NFDC) for a Script Writing Workshop for women.
- Post-Production Workshop in Maharashtra: Netflix launched its first training program in partnership with Govt. of Maharashtra and Amsterdam Post Lab. Through this, Netflix offered the creative community a diploma and specialization in post-production international standards and practices
- A visual storytelling workshop with GOBELINS L’école de L’image: Netflix rolled out an online visual storytelling workshop in partnership with Gobelins recently to nurture the next generation of animators.