The fireside chat with AD Padmasingh Isaac, Founder Chairman & MD, Aachi Group of Companies, Ashwin Pandian and Abishek Abraham, Executive Directors, Aachi Group of Companies at the 3rd edition of Medianews4u Straight Talk witnessed two generations of the legendary brand sharing their insights on branding and strategies and how they reinvented their business models during the pandemic
Name behind Aachi
The name Aachi was created by the family and not any external agency. The main reason behind this brand name was it has to be a Tamil name. “When we entered the FMCG industry, only multinational brands were there in this area and I always wanted to encourage Indian brands into the industry, that’s how we kept the name ‘Aachi’.”
“Aachi” means respected ladies which is called in the south India side, and even “Azchi” means “To rule”, we wanted our brand to rule the kitchen, therefore I was very particular in putting this as our brand name. This brand is like one of my family member” said Isaac.
Challenges for the second generation
“When I entered into the business so many unbranded and commodities were present. For me it was the biggest challenge. I wanted to give my product in the best way to the consumers for an affordable price to the common people. I wanted to give the best quality products to the common people, that’s my intention” added A D Padmasingh Isaac.
Ashwin Pandian and Abishek Abraham spoke on the unique challenges they have faced as the second-generation leaders of a successful brand.
“As a second generation, it was a very huge responsibility for us because already Aachi has created a milestone in the Industry. Our role was to initiate the technological adaptations, new product launches in the FMCG industry. If we see the current scenario everyone is willing to consume ready-to-eat products. Looking into this, most of our recent products are ready to eat products,” said Abishek Abraham, Executive Director, Aachi Group of Companies.
“Modernising the traditional way was a very huge task, because we had to maintain that specific quality of the brands even after it was modernised. We introduced the method of cold grinding and this helped us in retaining all the important nutrients, which was a great milestone,” said Ashwin Abraham, Executive Director, Aachi Group of Companies.
Idea behind UNAVE MARUNDHU ad campaign
“UNAVE MARUNDHU” (food is the medicine) is not a new thing and it was already said in ancient Tamil literature. It is how the people have changed now. “I wanted to take this concept to our brands. My intention to the consumers is about considering food as a medicine. It is not the medicines we are taking for the illness. It is specifically about the food habits and spices that have helped us to survive,” said Isaac.
“I am the visionary here. Only I know how to reach my brands, I don’t need any kind of celebrity for my brand promotion. Consumers keep trust towards the brand and not to the celebrity in the advertisements,” said Isaac.
For the success of a brand, there has to be a vision and the main area should be focused on the five P’s of marketing. “Promotion should always be put up in the last category of this. If all these five categories are achieved properly then the brand will be a huge success in the industry. Telling from my personal experience,” said Isaac.
National and Global Share
Aachi distribution has extended its area to almost 22 states in India. In Tamil Nadu, the share is around 65 percent and the remaining 35 percent is from northern India. We are exporting to 65 countries as we are available in almost all the categories like spices, blended masalas, ready to cook, pickles, rice paste etc. At present we are developing other state based products according to that specific cuisine. “If we understand the customer and if we are able to create the customer base, then automatically we go to the next stage”. added Abishek Abraham.
During the pandemic, customers missed eating food outside, this was like a biggest drawback during the time of the pandemic. Even though we know so many videos came in social media how unhygienic these are being made. This is the time we wanted to give the consumers good and hygiene foods. “We wanted to do something different which was already there. We capitalized this idea and introduced the “Pani Puri Kit”, added Ashwin Abraham.
Isaac, concluded the session by sharing the experience in his journey as a Ex-Godrej employer 38 years back. He shared about the incidents and challenges that he had to face and how he used that chance into an opportunity for success.
“Opportunity is always around us, it is about how we are going to choose and utilise in the right time and right way,” concluded Isaac.